Improving WiFi Signal
A typical indoor WiFi signal has a range of 30 metres, but this is reduced by walls and other obstacles between devices and your modem.
- Ensure your modem is in a clear, central location in your home, on a desk or shelf.
- Place your modem away from any indoor plants or metal objects.
- Switch to 5GHz WiFi (the WiFi network with "5G" at the end) for better WiFi speed and to reduce interference from microwaves, baby monitors and other devices which use 2.4GHz WiFi.
You'll find the default 5GHz WiFi network name and password printed on your modem's barcode sticker, e.g:
Please note: If you have an iiNet Smart Modem Gateway or 5G Modem, the band steering feature will ensure that your devices automatically connect to the 5GHz whenever possible.
- If you don’t have an iiNet supplied modem, check the user manual or manufacturer's website for support information.
- If you have a larger home, consider further hardware options such as:
- A WiFi extender;
- A wireless mesh networking system;
- Ethernet cabling.