Closing an iiNet account or changing account ownership
We understand that there's a wide range of scenarios that may make an account closure or change of ownership seem tricky. If you can't find advice for your situation here, please contact us for assistance.
Jump to a section:
- Who has the authority to close an iiNet account or change ownership
- Who to call to close an iiNet account or change ownership
- Invoices after account closure
- Invoices when changing account ownership
- What happens to iiNet email addresses if you close your account
- Moving house?
- Moving overseas?
Only someone listed on the account as a Billing contact (account holder) may close an account or authorise a change in ownership.
Only the person listed as the Phone contact on the account may authorise the cancellation of a landline phone service because they are the Legal Lessee listed with our wholesale provider.
Closing an account means that you will no longer have any services with iiNet. You may choose to move your service to another provider if possible, but all other services will be cancelled.
Changing account ownership means another person is agreeing to take responsibility for owning all of the iiNet services on the account and paying the invoices for the account.
If the account holder/Phone contact is unreachable
If you need to take control of an account via Power of Attorney or a similar scenario where the account holder is unable to manage their account, please call us on 13 22 58. We should be able to search for your account in our billing system and we can then advise what's necessary to gain access to the account information (such as a Statutory Declaration).
Just like all other matters involving your account, we need to complete an ID check before processing a cancellation or change of ownership.
- To close an account, please call our Billing team on 13 22 58.
- To change ownership of your account, please call our Billing team on 13 22 58.
- If you're overseas, you'll need to use our 24/7 international contact number, +61 8 9214 2222, for all queries.
If you have no access to a phone service, you can also email firstname.lastname@example.org (cancellations will take much longer to process via email).
If you cancel your service or change providers before your broadband contract is complete, you may incur a contract break fee. These fees are set out in the Pricing Schedule within our Customer Relationship Agreement.
If you're uncertain about contract tenure or any applicable break fees for any of your iiNet services, please call our Billing Team on 13 22 58 - we'll be able to look it up for you in our billing system.
iiNet services are billed in advance. When you cancel a service, any unused amount you paid in advance will be credited back to your iiNet account, calculated from your cancellation date onwards.
We must then wait for our billing system to raise your next invoice. Any credit on your iiNet account will be used to balance charges on your final invoice. If there's not enough credit to balance all of the charges, the remaining amount due can be paid in the same way you usually pay your iiNet invoices.
If any credit remains on your account after your final invoice has been paid, it can be refunded to your nominated bank account or credit card. This should balance your iiNet account.
Our billing system cannot split charges between previous and current account holders. As soon as the new account holder is added to the account, they are responsible for paying the full amount of all subsequent invoices and charges for the account, including charges dated from before they date they took ownership.
Both parties are responsible for settling any amounts they owe each other amongst themselves. iiNet will not mediate in any way; we will only issue the invoice for all charges due to the new account holder.
The potential new account holder will be informed of this risk by our customer service rep while processing the change of ownership. If either party doesn't feel comfortable, the change of ownership will not proceed. You can instead close your account and the other party may apply for a brand new account of their own.
- All email addresses attached to iiNet broadband or mobile services will be deleted unless you make arrangements to continue them as standalone mailboxes at a cost of $25/year.
- You will no longer be able to send mail from or receive mail to the email addresses.
- You will not be able to log in to Toolbox or iiNet Webmail.
- You will not be able to download existing email from the mail server. If you have any important emails in your iiNet mailbox, you must save them to a folder on your computer. Your email program (e.g. Outlook) may not save existing emails locally on your computer, meaning you may not be able to read these emails in the future.
Just because you're moving house doesn't mean you need to cancel. We should be able to relocate your broadband services, even if you're switching from one kind of internet service to another. See our Relocations FAQ.
If you're already overseas and need to contact us, please call our 24/7 international contact number, +61 8 9214 2222. If you're still in Australia, simply call our Billing Team on 13 22 58.
Advice for taking your modem overseas
Your modem may not work overseas for reasons which may include electrical voltage, network requirements, service type incompatibility or other compliance regulations.
Internet Service Providers in your destination country will be able to provide you with information about the different types of internet services available in your area and what sort of hardware you'll need for a connection.