Gathering diagnostics for an NBN speed issue
This article will walk you through how to gather diagnostics for an NBN™ speed fault. One of our friendly Customer Service Representatives may ask you to complete these steps when you contact us to troubleshoot a speed issue with your NBN™ service.
If you get stuck, please call our friendly Support Team on 13 22 58 and we'll be happy to help.
Before you get started
Testing must be performed on two different devices that are connected according to the following advice, depending on the type of NBN™ broadband you have:
- For NBN™ Fibre to the Building/Node/Curb (FTTB/N/C) and NBN™ HFC, each device should take turns being plugged into any of the LAN ports on your modem, such as the example below.
- For NBN™ Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) or NBN™ Wireless, each device should take turns being plugged in to the active port of your NBN™ Connection Box using an Ethernet cable. The active port is typically the UNI-D 1 port, such as the example below.
Gathering the diagnostics
- Make sure that no additional devices are connected to your network while you are running the test. Background applications such as file sharing, iCloud, One-drive, Dropbox or operating system updates should not be running - please close them and/or allow them to complete before gathering diagnostics.
- Open your web browser and go to https://www.iinet.net.au/internet-products/broadband/speed-test/
- Click Test your internet speed. In the popup window, click GO and let the test run.
- Once the test has completed, click COPY LINK to copy your result link.
- In an email to email@example.com, include the following information:
Username/Customer ID: (We need either your iiNet broadband username or your iiNet Customer ID to identify your account)
Result links: (Paste your result links from the speed tests)
Devices: (List the type of devices you used for the speed tests)
- Ideally, you should repeat steps 1-3 at least three times - each test only needs to be a few minutes apart. Paste the result link from each test into your email once each test is done.
- Once you have completed all of the required tests, please send the email containing your speed test results to firstname.lastname@example.org. We recommend that you include your iiNet broadband username or your iiNet Customer ID in the email's subject line.
- Once your test results have been received, we can investigate further.
- We'll contact you in the event that we need further information.