Transferring Domain and Hosting Services
There are some important steps to follow when transferring your Domain & Hosting products to iiNet. To ensure the transfer process goes smoothly, prepare backups and have the following information ready.
If you have any questions please call us on 1300 378 638 or email email@example.com.
To initiate a transfer for a Domain only, there are a few things you will need.
1. The Domain Password - This is known as the EPP Key, Transfer Key or Authorization Code
- For .au Domains, this can be recovered from pw.auda.org.au
- For any Generic Top Level Domain (.com, .biz or .net) this may be accessible via your customer portal or by contacting their domain provider.
2. For the domain to be unlocked
3. For you to have access to the Registrant Contact Email address to accept the Domain Transfer.
Please note: Updating Contact details on a generic Top Level Domain may lock the domain for 60 days unless the provider offers an opt-out for this.
Various provider-specific guides for recovering domain passwords, unlocking domains and updating contact details can be found at Retrieving your details from your Domain Name Registrar.
There are many Wholesale Domain Providers. If you are unsure of who your domain provider is, a whois may advise who it is registered through. There are various provider checks also available depending on the Domain Registrar flag:
- TUCOWS: https://tucowsdomains.com/provider-search/
- Synergy Wholesale: https://synergywholesale.com/partner-lookup/
- Web Address Registation: https://www.webregistrar.com.au/
Domain Transfer Timeframes vary depending on the type of Domain
- .au Domain transfers take 48 hours from the transfer acceptance
- Generic Top Level Domain (.com|.biz|.net) transfers take 3-5 business days from the transfer acceptance. Once complete, verification of the Domain Contact details is required.
- .co.nz - The New Zealand Registry will transfer the domain immediately as long as the UDAI (Unique Domain Authentication Identifier) password is correct.
- .co.uk domains use a Registrar TAG - This would need to be changed to: KEY-SYSTEMS-DE by the current Domain Registrar and may take up to 48 hours to complete.
DNS - Domain Name System
Any domain held with iiNet comes with free DNS Hosting available but this change is not automatic.
If you want us to take over the DNS before the domain transfer, this must be done before the domain transfer is accepted. You will need to change your Nameservers with your current Domain Registrar to the following;
Once a domain transfer has completed, you can re-delegate your Domain Nameservers to us through your new Hosting Control Panel, which allows us to manage the DNS.
- Log in to the Hosting Control Panel.
- Go to Account > Registered Domains.
- Click on the domain name you wish to update and then click Manage Nameservers or Change Nameservers to Preferred.
- Enter the name servers you require and then click Update Name Server.
- Once this change has been made, select Sync to Registry.
Any DNS Records you have in your existing DNS Host system will not automatically transfer. These records will need to be manually added into the Hosting Control Panel.
- Log in to the Hosting Control Panel.
- Select All Domains from the drop-down menu at the top right.
- Click on Hosted Domains > yourdomain.com > DNS > DNS Records.
- Click Add New Record.
The migration of any website files is your responsibility. You will need the following:
- The website files
- An export of your current database (if applicable)
Databases are used on Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. If you believe you may be using one of these, or are unsure, a check can be done at What CMS.
Website files can be uploaded to our server via FTP Software such as Filezilla. The details to access FTP can be found in the Hosting Control Panel.
- Select the Web Hosting Subscription from the Subscription drop-down menu in the top right.
- Click on the Websites tab.
- Click into the Domain Name.
- Select FTP Access, then enter the following details:
- Hostname: IP address
- Username: FTP Login Name
- Password: FTP Password
The FTP Password is usually hidden, but selecting Edit under FTP Access will open a checkbox to allow for this password to be changed to something memorable.
Once website files are uploaded to the iiNet web servers, we cannot guarantee the site will load, especially if the website has not been updated for some time. Since we use the most recent PHP version (PHP 7.4) as default, this may interfere with the website (usually by providing a blank page).
PHP Limits can be amended from within the Web Hosting Settings section of the Hosting Control Panel.
- Select the Web Hosting Subscription from the Subscription dropdown (top right).
- Click the Websites tab
- Click into the domain name.
- Go to Web Hosting Settings.
- Click Edit.
- From the PHP Implementation dropdown, select **Shared hosting PHP 5.6.
- Click Submit.
Please note: It is not recommended to go lower than PHP 5.6. This option is not meant to be used as a long term solution since using older versions of PHP poses a security risk. We always recommend keeping PHP and the core website files updated to ensure the website is not open to vulnerabilities.
If you decide to bring your website to iiNet, our system will automatically add the DNS Records into the Hosting Control Panel against the subscription. In the event DNS is held with a 3rd-Party DNS Host, these system records will need to be added into the DNS Host system.
We are not able to assist with the automated migration of emails from a 3rd Party Email Hosting system. We recommend a manual backup be created of all email, contacts and calendars, to ensure nothing is lost with the move to Hosted Exchange.
- If you are using POP3, all emails will be stored on the local machine.
- If you are using IMAP, all emails will be read from the existing server and viewable within your current Webmail.
Backup of the emails is your responsibility, but you can follow the process outlined at Importing and Exporting Outlook Mailbox Content. If you are using a different mail application, we may be able to provide a guide.
Once Hosted Exchange is provisioned, the customer can start the process to move to the new service by Creating a Hosted Exchange mailbox
Please note: We recommend creating a Hosted Exchange service on a new profile, where possible. This will allow the backup to be completed after DNS propagation completes and all email is coming through the Hosted Exchange servers. This is always dependent on the DNS TTL (Time to Live). See: Hosted Exchange Setup Guides.
If you are bringing your hosted emails to iiNet, our system will automatically add the DNS Records into the Hosting Control Panel against the subscription. In the event DNS is held with a 3rd-Party DNS Host, these system records will need to be added into the DNS Host system.