How to set up Netgear Nighthawk AX5 Modem for NBN HFC
Please follow the steps below to set up your Netgear Nighthawk AX5 Modem.
Before you install your router, attach the antennas to the router.
Note: Make sure to match the labels on the antennas with the labels on the router. The antennas must be attached to the correct antenna ports on the router. After you are done attaching the antennas, follow the steps below to connect your service.
- Ensure your NBN® Connection Box is turned on.
- Plug an Ethernet cable from the UNI-D1 port on your NBN Connection Box into the yellow Internet port on your Netgear Nighthawk AX5 Modem.
- Plug in the power cable and turn your Nighthawk on using the Power On-Off button.
- Connect your computer or any device to your modem by plugging an Ethernet cable from the device to one of the LAN ports, or you can connect your device via Wi-Fi.
- Go to http://192.168.1.1 or to http://www.routerlogin.com in your browser.
- Log in with your Netgear username and password. By default these are:
- On the home screen, click BASIC.
- Click Internet.
- In Does your Internet connection require a login? section, select the Yes radio button.
- From the Internet Service Provider menu, select the encapsulation method PPPoE.
- Enter your iiNet username and password.
- From the Connection Mode menu, select Always On.
- To change the number of minutes until the Internet login times out, in the Idle Timeout (In minutes) field, type the number of minutes. This is how long the router keeps the Internet connection active when no one on the network is using the Internet connection. A value of 0 (zero) means never log out.
- Select an Internet IP Address radio button: Get Dynamically from ISP
- Select a Domain Name Server (DNS) Address radio button:
- Get Automatically from ISP. Your ISP uses DHCP to assign your DNS servers. Your ISP automatically assigns this address.
- Use These DNS Servers. If you know that your ISP requires specific servers, select this option. Enter the IP address of your ISP’s primary DNS server. If a secondary DNS server address is available, enter it also.
- Select a Router MAC Address radio button:
- Use Default Address. Use the default MAC address.
- Use Computer MAC Address. The router captures and uses the MAC address of the computer that you are now using. You must use the one computer that the ISP allows.
- Use This MAC Address. Enter the MAC address that you want to use.
- Click Apply to save the settings.
- If your NBN plan was activated before 1 March 2023 or you have NBN Phone included in your service, more settings are needed:
- Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > VLAN/Bridge Settings and tick the Enable VLAN/Bridge Setup check box.
- Select the By VLAN tag group button and then click the Add button.
- The Add VLAN Rule page displays.
- Enter a name for the VLAN tag group (e.g. iiNet). The name can be up to 10 characters.
- Set VLAN ID to 2 and Priority to 0.
- Click the Test button to test your Internet connection.
Your Netgear Nighthawk AX5 Modem should now be online. If you're still having issues, please see Improving WiFi Signal or call us on 13 22 58 for further assistance.